Air compressors are one of the most crucial equipments supporting…
Some years back, scroll air compressors were usually seen in special applications which included hospitals, car superchargers, and vacuum pumps. These compressors are being employed on a much broader scale in the present day, so the actual question that comes up is how can one choose the perfect scroll compressor for designated applications.
Although they are more in use now, scroll compressor suppliers are not seen everywhere as they are still primarily required for niche applications. Before making a purchase decision, one needs to have a proper clarity of what the machine is expected to do and the exact features it should have.
The easiest way to narrow down on this is to find the answer to the following questions:
– What will the compressor be used for?
– How much volume (CFM) and pressure (PSI) of compressed air is needed?
– Will the compressor run continuously (100% duty cycle) or intermittently?
– How are you planning the installation process?
This guide is useful for any technician, building manager or contractor out there to help them choose the best scroll air compressor for themselves.
What to look for when choosing the right Scroll Compressor?
1. The kind of work planned on doing with the Scroll Compressor
There are several reasons why it is essential to identify the type of work that will be done before acquiring the compressor for which you need it. Let’s take a look.
- Is a lubricated or an oil less compressor required? If the quality of air is a question of issue, go for an oil-less system that comes with ISO Class 1 or Class 0 air quality rating.
- Is continuous supply of compressed air or intermittent supply needed? Before purchasing a unit, the technical specifications should be checked to know the exact downtime required for each hour of operation.
- If a controlled flow of air is needed, a receiver tank can be installed to hold the pressurized air. This ensures a consistent supply of air without the need to run the compressor throughout the day.
- Are there any special requirements? Suppose, if there is a need for absolutely dry compressed air, go for an unit with inbuilt air dryer along with in-line filter.
Scroll compressors are generally single-speed operating at full capacity. But units with variable capacity are also available which offer exceptional temperature and humidity resistance, within +/- 0.5 °F, ensuring more comfort in homes and minimal food spoilage in certain refrigeration systems.
2. The exact volume and air pressure needed
In order to know the exact amount of airflow needed, check product specifications for pressure requirements in all pneumatic tools/machinery. A proper scroll compressor needs to have the capacity to handle the highest PSI needed for these equipment during peak operational hours.
To know the airflow in cubic feet per minute (CFM), all the CFM requirements of every equipment running simultaneously needs to be added up along with a 30% safety margin. This will give you the minimum CFM value required for your scroll compressor.
3. The amount of power required
One needs to determine the power supply requirements that includes voltage, circuit safety, current, and control features. Check product specifications for such details and be strict to adhere to them, since scroll compressors are known to be quite sensitive to improper connections.
In fact, in the majority of cases of compressor failures and motor problems, poor electrical connections have been the reason behind it.
4. Know the ideal duty cycle
Scroll compressors have extended operational capacity as they can operate for longer hours without much wear and tear. The premium models require only a few minutes of downtime for an continued hour of operation.
When a compressor is turned on it consumes a large current draw from the mains which can lead to increased equipment wear. If there are too many start/stop cycles at the point of operation, then it is economical to continue to run the unit and eliminate the start/stop cycles.
According to the rule of thumb, if there is a need to start and stop a compressor more than eight times per hour, it is advisable to install a receiver tank or to run the machine continuously.
Also read : How To Properly Size An Air Receiver Tank
5. Installation parameters
Though scroll compressors are almost noiseless and can be installed close to the point of use, there are certain other installation parameters to keep in mind. Remember to inquire about issues from scroll compressor suppliers.
For instance larger units usually need three-phase power, while smaller units can work off single-phase mains. So electric supply is a major parameter. Heat is another prime aspect since scroll compressors tend to generate immense heat and definitely need to be cooled.
Therefore, taking some time to decide which scroll compressor will run off the electrical supply is worth it. Also, the exact point of installation is an essential point as it should have good air circulation for proper cooling.
Also, if such machines have an auto start/stop system depending on air pressure levels it is advisable to have a receiver tank.
Zentech Systems and Solutions is one of the leading air compressor supplier(s) in East India offering the all round installation and solution options at very competitive prices for all kinds of industrial applications. Just give a call and let Zentech come up with curated solutions that suit all the requirements.