It is essential that compressed air be contaminant-free, present protection…
Compressed air is required in a wide range of industries and commercial fields as an essential source of energy. With its popularity, continuously growing air compressors are deployed for literally endless applications, starting from manufacturing, pharmaceuticals to agriculture and more in between. Compressed air has been known to be a good resource amongst numerous industries, though it is less energy-efficient than other equipment in certain scenarios.
Hopefully, there are several ways to increase the overall efficiency by modifying various elements and components of the equipment. One can save money and energy to a great extent when an efficient air compressor is present. For instance, while searching online for “air compressor supplier near me” make sure to choose a reputable supplier to setup a proper system.
Let’s take a look at some ways to increase air compressor efficiency.
1. Refine Air Intake Quality
The quality of the air going inside the machine is a crucial point affecting the overall efficiency. When the air quality is low, the compressor won’t be able to operate as efficiently as in a higher-quality environment.
Take care of these three air-quality components in your workstation and make the adjustments as required:
- Temperature: Cool air consumes less energy to compress maintaining greater air density, enabling the compressors to process better.
- Composition: Clean air supply free of contaminants, moves more smoothly through the system, preventing wear and tear caused by polluted air within the system.
- Humidity: Moisture in a humid environment generates rust. Machines in dry-air environments are less likely to undergo system and component damage from their surroundings.
2. Strengthen System Design
An air compressor may not come with a very efficient initial design, but there are various tactics one can implement to improve it, including:
- Straightening delivery lines- Minimise sharp bends, loops and narrow delivery lines in the compressed air system to minimise pressure drops and high friction.
- Using smaller compressors- Larger units use up more energy, whereas smaller systems can be powered on and off to conserve energy.
- Investing in a storage tank- Storage tanks reduce the impact of short-term market demand changes and conserve air pressure by reducing pressure drops.
- Relocating your compressor- The air compressor can be moved to a shaded area for cool air intake and reduced operating costs.
- Obtaining a heat recovery system- Waste heat recovery units recover lost energy and channelise it for heating purposes in the facility.
For this step, it is advisable to search for “air compressor services near me” to get hold of an expert who would properly diagnose any problem and address it.
3. Inspect for Leaks
Unchecked air leaks sometimes become the chief cause of energy loss in case of compressors. One can easily check air loss, minimise energy bills and boost system efficiency by following the proper steps to locate and eliminate breakages at the source.
You can identify leaks through means of certain tests like an ultrasonic acoustic leak detector, though there are more ways to achieve this. Just hook up all hoses, components and tools and run the compressor to its top pressure. Once the machine stops pumping, check the pressure gauge and observe the meter needle. If the needle is seen to slowly lower or a hissing sound is heard, then there’s probably a leak.
If the needle stays in place, the compressor is leak-free. Repairing a leak in an air compressor might mean tightening connections, but in certain cases there will be the need to replace system components like – couplings, pipe sections and hoses to resolve the issue.
4. Conduct Air Compressor Maintenance
One of the optimum ways to boost air compressor efficiency is to undertake minimal routine maintenance checks to ensure proper operation. There are many procedures of inspection one can conduct on regular intervals, maybe daily, weekly, monthly or even yearly basis in order to keep the machines operating at their best. Some of the maintenance methods are:
- Switching dirty air filters.
- Inspecting oil levels.
- Removing tank condensate.
- Taking note of strange noises or vibrations.
- Fastening nuts and bolts.
- Washing intake valves.
- Checking hoses for cracks or corrosion.
- Cleaning the fuel tank.
5. Reduce Pressure Drop
Pressure reduction in the compressed air system can cause increased energy consumption and poor performance. One can prevent pressure drop from taking place through these simple procedures:
- Maintaining pipes of appropriate sizes.
- Reduce moisture by thorough drying and air filtering
- Efficient components that deliver performance with low pressure drop
- Exchange unclean filters to avoid clogging
- Shortening the distance of air travel through the air compressor
Zentech System & Solutions is one of the leading suppliers of air compressor and customised services for all kinds of industrial applications. In the eastern region if one searches online for “air compressor supplier near me”, one is sure to find Zentech. Get in touch for not just the best in class air compressor but for all types of curated solutions ranging from – piping, compressor accessories, coolers, dryers and much more.
Business Owner at Zentech Systems and Solutions, providing innovative industrial solutions for compressed air services, cooling towers, vacuum pumps, and gas generators since 1998. Bringing efficiency to your production process!